Distribuir contenido

GoMe Census / Job list / To-do list

145 respuestas [Último envío]
Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ene 12 2008

Everytime I look at the "FAQ's" and "Projects and Plans" I see Al'K has done more work. Looooking real good now. Nice one buddy.

Al'Kaera
Imagen de Al'Kaera
Desconectado/a
se unió: Jul 6 2008

I appreciate that Szark, really. It's more work than I thought it would be.

The hard part is fixing links to/from the appropriate forum discussions. The postings have a lot of broken sixpencemedia.guildofmessenger/blah/blah/blah links.

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Tell me about it. Everytime I see a broken link I try to fix it.

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger
se unió: Oct 29 2007

Based on the suggestion Leo had:

"So I suggest we first compile a list of things we need to do. i.e. Update the Open Jobs at GoMe thread and Book Page"

I'm totally out of the loop regarding what services/products the GoMe is currently offering and which members of the forum are active messengers.

So if anyone could answer these 2 questions, that would be great.

Kalypso: #85553

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
se unió: Jun 19 2008

Services aren't changed in the past months.

Our bigger service is the News Feed, each News Item needs to be approved before it is published and every Messenger can approve from the Workflow Summary Page on their personal menu.

We'll need to spread our news into the Cavern again so I think we should contact the old Criers and see if we can resurrect them, Lynnutte was their leader.

There's always space for new Liaisons. It has been a while since we actually used their services but I think activities will grow again now.

As others suggested we could use some members to organize a 24/7 presence in the Cavern like the Greeters do. (in the Guild Pub, at the Ferry Terminal(?), in a hood(?))

We're looking for  "Field Reporters" on other OnlineWorlds (e.g. SL, there.com, etc).

We need maintainers for the Calendar (don't know if this is still needed since now every messenger con approve them like News Items), our Facebook page and our Twitter Account.

And of course we always accept ideas for new projects

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Cool. Thanks Leo! It helps.

So based on what you wrote, here are where I could see guild members (new and experienced) work on.

Leonardo wrote:
Our bigger service is the News Feed, each News Item needs to be approved before it is published and every Messenger can approve from the Workflow Summary Page on their personal menu.

If a messenger write a news piece, must it be approved by an other messenger before being published?

Quote:
We'll need to spread our news into the Cavern again so I think we should contact the old Criers and see if we can resurrect them, Lynnutte was their leader.

Duly noted. I'm still a crier so I don't mind to already start to distribute Ki Mails if there is any currently being spread in the cavern. Is there any?

Quote:
There's always space for new Liaisons. It has been a while since we actually used their services but I think activities will grow again now.

What kinds of Liaison are we looking for currently? Guilds ones? Which positions?

Quote:
As others suggested we could use some members to organize a 24/7 presence in the Cavern like the Greeters do. (in the Guild Pub, at the Ferry Terminal(?), in a hood(?))

To simplify this, I see this as a double duty for the Crier (or just messengers if the messengers and criers merge completely). Talk about the guild, talk about the news and distribute Ki mails.

Quote:
We're looking for  "Field Reporters" on other OnlineWorlds (e.g. SL, there.com, etc).

During recrutment, it could be a question asked.

Quote:
We need maintainers for the Calendar (don't know if this is still needed since now every messenger con approve them like News Items), our Facebook page and our Twitter Account.

Maybe 3 admins per account? Whoever can distribute the news faster can do it. Regarding the calendar, if the Greeters still do their, I don't see the point in duplicating the effort. Are they still doing it?

Questions:

Is the Newspaper still active? Still needed?

Regarding the website, do we need more people to work on it?

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

I believe "Translations to other languages" was left off the list.

Re: requiring approval to publish, at least some if not all messengers can self-publish their articles.  Contributions from explorers whose accounts are not set as 'messenger' require review/approval, I believe.

Re: liaisons, the liaison system is the method by which we reach out to provide notifications to all other groups, not just guilds.  Szark did a lot of this work, for a very long time... he had a list of forums that were interested in receiving notifications from us and he would post messages to those sites.  It is a manual (not automated) process.

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Marten wrote:

Re: requiring approval to publish, at least some if not all messengers can self-publish their articles.  Contributions from explorers whose accounts are not set as 'messenger' require review/approval, I believe.

But is there some GoMe that not all kinds news can be publish? I just want to be sure that I don't eventually post something I could have discussed with someone first.

Quote:
Re: liaisons, the liaison system is the method by which we reach out to provide notifications to all other groups, not just guilds.  Szark did a lot of this work, for a very long time... he had a list of forums that were interested in receiving notifications from us and he would post messages to those sites.  It is a manual (not automated) process.

Is there an up-to-date list of our liaisons right now?

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

But is there some GoMe that not all kinds news can be publish? I just want to be sure that I don't eventually post something I could have discussed with someone first.

Due to the way our software deals with permissions there is no tecnical way to prevent a Messenger from approving his own content. We could add a rule to the website rules (or to a Code of Conduct that our Guild doesn't have)

Is there an up-to-date list of our liaisons right now?

Here the Liaison list is up to date. Rest is not updated

I'm still a crier so I don't mind to already start to distribute Ki Mails if there is any currently being spread in the cavern. Is there any?

Not yet. I think we could resurrect the KImail that summarized all the events in the Cavern.

Maybe 3 admins per account? Whoever can distribute the news faster can do it. Regarding the calendar, if the Greeters still do their, I don't see the point in duplicating the effort. Are they still doing it?

I don't know. If they're still doing it we could include that calendar in our webpage (IIRC it was a Google Calendar right?)

2 or 3 Admins for Facebook and Twitter sounds good. For now there are Lynnutte and me for Facebook.

Each of these tasks need a "Project Leader", possibly without other great responsibilities so that we know he can maintain it up to date without forgetting it because he is buried by other tasks.

Theremin
Imagen de Theremin
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ago 18 2008

The Newspaper was put on "hiatus" last December, due to the fact there were really only 3 people or so working on it, and a definite lack of news. Personally, I would suggest waiting a bit before starting it up again, to allow time for explorers to get used to being back in the cavern. There was some discussion as to making it a quarterly or semi-annual issue.

Read this next part carefully, I'm not discouraging people to offer ideas: I would discourage just asking for ideas, I can throw out tons of ideas, none of which I have the time to help with or any idea as to how to implement. During my stint as Newspaper Editor, people would constantly suggest ideas for stories or articles, the problem was, no one was interested in writing them.

We should instead encourage people to use the Messengers as a venue for them to implement their ideas, provided they fit in to what the Messengers do. New members could be asked "Is there anything the Guild can do to help you make your idea a reality?"

An idea that I do have and am willing to dedicate time and effort to is elections. We need to hold some elections, maybe revamp the system a bit. I'd suggest electing a Grandmaster and 2 Council Members, and then allow them to appoint the liaisons and other positions. Hold elections once a year. I have some more ideas on how to do this if we decide we want to move forward with it.

If anyone is willing to work on the website, I think we should encourage it, under the guidance of Leo who is more or less our webmaster/guru.

We need some active recruiters. I was kindly recruited by Andros and we're still here. Now that the cavern is back and interest is up, there may be more interested explorers out there.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Yes Theremin, "Is there anything the Guild can do to help you make your idea a reality?" is a really good question to make projects in the Guild and recruit people.

But I think that that question is not enough, because right now we barely have enough staff to run our basic services. Allowing people to come in to develop their project under our umbrella can be done and will be a great thing if we do it right, but first we need people willing to keep the main services running or even start them (e.g. all the activities in the Cavern)

For the webmaster: with the time we have learned that having at least one backup person for these things is very important, or everything could lock up when you need to modify something.

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Group Liaisons are:

• Arbiter: Leonardo
  • BeyondUru: TBA
  • Guild of Archivists: TBA
  • Guild of Cartographers: Church
  • Guild of Greeters: Tai'lahr
  • Guild of Maintainers: Leonardo
  • Guild of Writers: Al'Kaera
  • MOUL Forum: TBA

Good. I'll contact them soon to make sure they still want to do it.

Theremin. I agree with the Newspaper being in temporary hiatus. If you fell you would want to start it again but lack people working on it, I could help in that department.

When the "figure out the needs of the GoMe" will be done, I intend to recruit and try to get inactive members of the GoMe more active. I plan on asking them a few questions to fill the open jobs in the GoMe rather than to left them on their own once they are messengers. Your question will be one of them.

I don't agree that the GoMe should be represented and mostly run by 3 people. Why the downsizing of the concil and why them appoint the liaisons and other positions? I'm not sure I see the need for that. I'll like to have you opinion on this.

I consider asking for ideas (brainstorming) a good thing because not everyone knows what to do when they join the GoMe. They may not have a solo project. So based on a list of ideas, they could be the one to develop the idea of someone else in order to make the project their own.

Maybe it's because I have been out of the loop for so long, but I still think the GoMe could be more "efficient" than it currently is. The possibilities of what we could do is endless. I think it all bodes down to #1 what to do and #2 who should do it. If both aspects are productive, I see the GoMe growing (not just as inactive Gome members) and the GoMe being a stronger Guild in the Uru community.

Leo, I agree that the "project leaders" should mostly do one thing, I'll keep that in mind. Not that jack-of-all trades are not needed.

Theremin
Imagen de Theremin
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ago 18 2008

If we have a list of critical areas we want to focus on, then as new (or old) people come on board, we can ask them to help in a particular capacity. Once these are filled, we can explore options for moving into other areas.

As for the 3 people running the guild, an all-volunteer organization is seldom run by the "leaders", it is nearly always a group effort. To be honest, there have really only been about 5 people regularly active here in the last year. (I won't name names.) That's not to say the council couldn't be expanded in the future, but I would suggest waiting until the initial excitement of MOUL being back wears off. Votes are nice, but not always efficient. It would be simpler for the council to appoint liasons, rather than asking for candidates, then holding a vote. The council should also at least give their approval to any projects that will be associated with the Guild, and anyone in position of leadership, such as the newspaper editor or others. 3 people would allow for a simple majority of 2 to approve anything.

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

I understand your point of view and now I agree with your vision. Having never been on the council, I wasn't aware that bureaucracy and protocols were too much.

Regarding the liaison, I also agree that votes is not the way to go.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

OK I have finished my internal debate I will resume my duties (if that is ok with you all) of monitoring the RSS Feed and resume my manual forum posting of Community wide announcements that are on this list http://guildofmessengers.com/forum/topic/where-do-we-post-news under Who posts where:

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Szark, the list of forums is quite big. My suggestion would be to ask these micro-communities if they are really interested in having the news posted on their forum. Maybe they prefer to view it on the official Moul forum or directly on the GoMe website.

I'm sure that it takes a lot of time to post multiple time the news. Maybe cutting some of them would not make a difference readership-wise but would save you precious minutes in your day.

Al'Kaera
Imagen de Al'Kaera
Desconectado/a
se unió: Jul 6 2008

Welcome back, whoever is ....

I won't be long so this will be short.... the discussion on leaders, council members, voting/no-voting etc looks like great ideas are coming to the surface, therebye I have no  alternative comments.

I would like to be removed from the Liason list as GoW liason either through election or appointment when it happens. I had no problem substituting for Marten, but I have NO NOSE for 'news' and surely did the service an injustice.

Searching within myself I find that as an active member, I wasn't very active, especially with regards to the newspaper or other 'important' guild matters and have fully realized I thought I could do things I didn't have the skills for and during that time, pushed people away rather than enhance the comeraderie. Call it ego, selfishness or a basic need to be aknowledged, what ever the motive, it was the wrong thing to do. I am a person of many ideas with personal skills to implement none and I don't follow through well. Too many rabbit holes do I follow.

The folks I still see here and some who have already come back were, are, and will continue to be the foundation on which this Guild will grow.
I would like to remain a member and lurk on the website and forum to find an fix details. Now that the cavern is open, I will place my focus there in a new attempt to further the IC side in light of the potential for UCC to dramatically change the game. btw the first attempt to be 'all IC' was a miserable failure, i.e. too many rabbit holes lol.

So run this place well, because you can and because it was, before I signed up. . I will sweep up, empty the trash and polish the Guild emblem.

/me puts rag in pocket. 

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

I'm not sure I understand what Theremin is saying. I know I like the way we have of having many Council Members each representing one part of the Guild. However with the time passing the guild has changed its structure and I think some of the Council member doesn't represent anymore a part of the Guild. We should review the roles.

I don't understand why Liaisons should be appointed by the Council. Maybe you're talking about Project Leaders? They're different from Liaisons.

However please this is the Job thread, we have a stickied thread here for structure discussion, please continue the discussion there

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Thanks Al for the worked you did as a Liaison. I don't think any of us here can say that we are doing a perfect job doing whatever we each do in the guild but I'm pretty sure that we are all doing our best with the our limited means.

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Phase 1: I compiled what I perceived to be open jobs in the GoMe. Here is the list: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tMmdNJ92ux_gVCR30YB-iFQ&gid=0

Give me your input on this. Are they representative of the needs of the GoMe? Are some jobs missing or unnecessary? Are the responsible of the Filled jobs accurate?

edit: With a much smaller URL: http://bit.ly/crYkDi

Sirlazurus
Imagen de Sirlazurus
Desconectado/a
se unió: Feb 16 2010

I have check out the list and my name is on the list of Liasion to do job i think .

Nice guys but is thsi the complete list of everyone and is it updated?

I need to go ferry age to make some development after i discover something interesting,but first in order to do that i need to visit some ages first and continue my journey and discover more things.

The Exelency of Desteny is Uru  and Discovery.

MY KI :   959586

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

That is it Sirlazuras you go and get settled into Myst Online. You have made a great start and I am impressed with your enthusiasim. Hope to see you down in the cavern sometime.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

Thanks Andros for the list! You're the best!

A few comments:

News Translators: We've never talked about them, translation for News Items is not even active, but it can be enabled easily. This could be a good idea to discuss

Liaisons: add Cyan Liason. Currently it is me, I have sent a PM to RAWA explaining what the Cyan Liaison does. He didn't reply but I see he read it.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

If you want I can take back Cyan Liaison It is entirely upto you but I am willing to take this on.

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

I think I'll keep it, for now At least we don't confuse RAWA

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Yeah no problem Leo

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

I just noticed all my Badges have disappeared and I can't approve anything.  Are you trying to tell me something. ROFLOL

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a

O_O LOL I did nothing, I swear. I see you just changed your pic....maybe that triggered something.

However you'll have your badges back in a second. Messenger, Newspaper Team.....and?

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

LOL yeah I think it happened when I change my pic. Thanks Leo. LOL No that is it I think.

Andros
Imagen de Andros
Desconectado/a
Messenger

Leonardo wrote:

News Translators: We've never talked about them, translation for News Items is not even active, but it can be enabled easily. This could be a good idea to discuss

Liaisons: add Cyan Liason. Currently it is me, I have sent a PM to RAWA explaining what the Cyan Liaison does. He didn't reply but I see he read it.

Above on this page, Marten wrote: "I believe "Translations to other languages" was left off the list." Maybe I misunderstood what he wanted because I thought that he was talking about the news.

Cyan Liaisons added.